American Sleep Association



SomnoDent is the name of SomnoMed's sleep apnea dental device product line.

The SomnoDent product line consists of the Flex, Fusion, G2, Classic, Herbst, Herbst Advance, and Air.  These devices are FDA 510k cleared sleep apnea and snoring treatment devices.

Sleep apnea oral devices like SomnoDent work by moving the lower jaw forward.

Continuous Open Airway Therapy SomnoDent


SomnoDent devices are made of an acrylic-like substance that is formed by taking an impression of the patient's teeth. Usually, this is done in a dentist's office with a bite impression kit. The bite impression kit is inserted into the patient's mouth. After the bite impression is complete, it is sent to a dental laboratory that pours  plaster into the impression and makes a mold of the teeth. This is used as the foundation in which the oral appliance is made around.

Sleep apnea dental device therapy is often used as an alternative sleep apnea treatment to other sleep apnea treatments.

Sleep apnea devices like SomnoDent are usually created by a dentist and dental lab in conjunction with a physician. Sleep dentists have experience working with sleep apnea oral appliances and customizing dental sleep apnea treatment based on the individual's medical and dental history.

SomnoMed SomnoDent - Continuous Open Airway Therapy COAT

SomnoMed SomnoDent Sleep Apnea Oral Appliance

Patient comfort – Eighty eight percent of users reported regular use of this oral device –  Patients are able to move mouth open and close with oral appliance in place, as well as talk.

Clinically Proven – Fifteen scientific studies have demonstrated the oral appliance clinical benefits. Ninety one percent of patients stated improvement in sleep quality with the SomnoDent.

Sleep apnea oral appliances and dental devices are approved medical treatment options for mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea. They are also considered for treatment of OSA patients with severe sleep apnea who are unable to tolerate CPAP.

Some of the side effects of sleep apnea dental devices include TMJ discomfort, tooth shifting, and tooth discomfort. Treatment for sleep apnea with SomnoDent, and other oral sleep apnea therapies should be coordinated with a physician and dentist.

SomnoMed has delivered over 200,000 SomnoDent sleep apnea oral appliance devices worldwide. They market the product under 'Continuous Open Airway Therapy - COAT'.

SomnoDent is a sleep apnea oral appliance dental device for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea owned by SomnoMed.

SomnoMed, SomnoDent, and Continuous Open Airway Therapy are trademarks of SomnoMed and is not affiliated with this website.

Philips Better Sleep Program


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

3 comments on “SomnoDent”

  1. had a very bad experience with this was so obtrusive that it made my sleep worse-i developed a severe tinnitus in my left ear due to the appliance after wearing it for a month. i wish there was a venue for letting people know that this is a problem before they purchase the appliance-am hoping that people will read this review. although my dentist refunded his fees, somnodent refused to refund any of their fee ($650). if 80% of patients report it is helpful, then what about the other 20%?

Vitalsleep Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece

American Sleep Association® ASA does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. ASA has beneficial partnerships with corporations listed at: Terms of Use and Conditions, Privacy Policy

Join Our Mailing List

© 2020 American Sleep Association.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram