violent myoclonic spasms/jerks when falling asleep-gctid500

American Sleep Association Forums General Public General Discussion violent myoclonic spasms/jerks when falling asleep-gctid500

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Angel 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

strid

I get really violent jerks that seem to originate from the chest aria and throat aria. It happens when I’m just starting to fall asleep. Sometimes it feels like I am having a heart attach.

I’ve been experiencing these symptoms since 2004. I’m 35.

The only thing that seems to help is Valium or lots of alcohol. I’m in a constant daze the next day from a lack of good sleep and the side effects of the valium and or alcohol. Sucks !

I did a sleep study, but didn’t experience any of my usual symptoms that night so it was inconclusive.

I have seen a Cardiologist and Pulmonology doctor and a Gastroenterology Doctor, with no results but worthless pills and expensive guesses.

My best guess it that I have some kind neurological problem or some kind of throat lung issues.

I’ve also woken up a few times chocking and not being able to breath. It’s a few years since that.

I’m looking to do another Sleep study but I have no insurance so if anybody knows of an inexpensive sleep study center it would be much appreciated ? I live in Los Angeles.
    The going rate seems to be $1500 and up which seems like highway robbery for a one night sleep study.

Comments ??
    Eoneee1@hotmail.com

Angel

I have narcolepsy w/cataplexy. I experience the same symptoms you describe. Sometimes it’s before sleep. Sometimes it’s during sleep. Sometimes my body shuts down and i can’t walk or sit up. Speech stops & sometimes breathing stops. Sometimes before shutting down i shake violently esp torso &arms. My head drops just like a little baby.

Not sure how this info will help you. Maybe you can get tested for nnarcolepsy with cataplexy.
    Wishing the best for you, Angel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.