Recently diagnosed with narcolepsy-gctid44

American Sleep Association Forums General Public Narcolepsy Recently diagnosed with narcolepsy-gctid44

This topic contains 1 reply, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Angelaw 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Angelaw

I am 28 years old and was just diagnosed with narcolepsy. I am actually happy now that I have a diagnosis that explains my symptoms.

For the past 8 years, I have struggled with school, work, family, because they think that I am lazy or uninterested in life or whatever activity is important at the time…because I am so sleepy.
    Now that I have the diagnosis, I realize that this is not a problem of laziness but sleepiness. And I hope that people around the world realize that there is a difference.
    I am sure that this probably relates to people with other sleep disorders too.

I have started a medication for my narcolepsy. So far so good. I am optimistic that I will be able to be less sleepy soon.

I am curious how other people do with there lives, school, family, work… after treatment of narcolepsy (or any other sleep disorder that causes this much sleepiness).

Angelaw

The name of the medication is Provigil

DrCSingh

Good for you –

I know many narcoleptics who live normal lives and exceed at what they do.

I am sure that more about this disorder will be known within the next 5 years.

"Angelaw" wrote: I am 28 years old and was just diagnosed with narcolepsy. I am actually happy now that I have a diagnosis that explains my symptoms.

For the past 8 years, I have struggled with school, work, family, because they think that I am lazy or uninterested in life or whatever activity is important at the time…because I am so sleepy.
    Now that I have the diagnosis, I realize that this is not a problem of laziness but sleepiness. And I hope that people around the world realize that there is a difference.
    I am sure that this probably relates to people with other sleep disorders too.

I have started a medication for my narcolepsy. So far so good. I am optimistic that I will be able to be less sleepy soon.

I am curious how other people do with there lives, school, family, work… after treatment of narcolepsy (or any other sleep disorder that causes this much sleepiness).

kjohnson

You might also check out the Narcolepsy Network. It is a national health awareness group for persons with narcolepsy and those who work to help improve the lives of those suffering from narcolepsy. Their website is:

http://www.narcolepsynetwork.org/

NickOsteo

Many patients report significant improvements with the wake promoting medications available. There has been a very apparent trend away from amphetamines.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.