Over the counter sleep meds. Any work?-gctid32

American Sleep Association Forums General Public Insomnia Over the counter sleep meds. Any work?-gctid32

This topic contains 1 reply, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  DRB 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Cherylt

Are there any over-the-counter medications that work for insomnia?
    I have tried about 10 different meds and none of them work. I feel cruddy in the morning after using them.

I read somewhere that all of these medications are junk. Anybody have any good

DRB

Is the trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? The insomnia aspect could merely be a symptom of a larger sleep issue…

jaredh4
    Participant

Generally, over-the-counter sleeping medications are NOT recommended. They may help you to fall asleep, but they can cause sleep fragmentation.

Overall, they may do more harm than good. Most sleep experts strictly recommend avoiding these agents.

"Cherylt" wrote: Are there any over-the-counter medications that work for insomnia?
    I have tried about 10 different meds and none of them work. I feel cruddy in the morning after using them.

I read somewhere that all of these medications are junk. Anybody have any good

sandrita145

I m need someone who have the same that me , I m so desperate… I have been with tis insomnia problem 2 years ago , I m in a medical treatment , but I feel that nothing is gonna have a good effect , im so afarid that my kind of insomnia can be " fatal family " …. although the neurologist said that it is psycofisiologic …. well please I need help real help .

sid_jay

hey sandrita i read your article all i would like to say that u don’t have to worry first stop labelling urself as a person who can’t sleep then try curing ur medical situation and i guess ur insomnia will reduce there is a good news for u that insomnia is not a disease its a cause n hence sleeping pills do not work whts worse is that they lose their efficiency within weeks of use. try maintaining a sleep log and then record ur sleep wake up n sleep at the same time spend some time in the early sun n try to excercise! remember insomnia is not a disease !!! if u need any help contact me!

Leah

They only contain Benadryl (anti-histamine).

Unfortunatly they don’t even stop me from itching if I do.

And they sure don’t make me groggy enough to fall asleep.

dizzylyd1

Hi – I interchange between Meclizzine (like Antivert or Dramamine) and my antidepressant med or twice a week I take .05 mg. of Klonapin, along with my antidepressant and this regimen seems to work good. I also do bright light therapy along with everything. This way my body doesn’t get used to the Klonopin. Try that regimen and see if it works. If you don’t have a bright light, get morning sun and early evening sun for 15-20 minutes. Dizzy

Leah

I have tried the Mechlazine stuff when I have an upset stomach and it doesn’t phase me at all.
    Doesn’t even help the sick stomach.

dizzylyd1

Has anyone tried light therapy? I do it twice daily and it helps me considerably. Instead of getting 3 1/2 hrs., I get 5-6 hours. It is natural (no meds) and I sit under it for 1/2 hour early am and around 6:30 pm.
    I have a bright light box. Maybe you are lacking bright light – like enough sun? I know that when I am on vacation, I get more sunlight and sleep so much better. Dizzy

Leah

I get plenty of light , so that is not an issue for me personally.

If it is even remotely light outside I cannot sleep. Has to be pitch black for me to sleep. No outside noises either.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.