Missing Stages-gctid175

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sleepy 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rmnsone16

Looking for cause & tx of missing stages. Go from stage one right into REM. Then I wake up & go back to sleep throughout night. I feel like I never slept and have times of sleep walking. Sleep study done 6 years ago showed I have mild sleep apnea. Dr. did not seem concerned that I missed stages. I fall alseep during the day if I stop moving (had workup for narcolepsy, neg) and yawn constantly.
    Thank you for any insight you may offer.

sleepy

Sleep study done 6 years ago showed I have mild sleep apnea.

The OSA may have worsened over the past 6 years and may no longer be ‘mild’.

A repeat sleep study may be helpful in determining if your OSA is no longer mild – untreated sleep apnea could explain some of the symptoms you have.

What treatment have you been using for the mild apnea for the past 6 years? Even mild apnea needs to be addressed…

rmnsone16

Thank you for your reply. I was given a warm humidified (because of scarring from turbinate surg) CPAP. Have tried just about every type of mask available but spend most of the night waking to fix it on my face. I lost 75 pounds and have 35 more to go. I use prescription nasal spray to open the nasal passages and sleep on my side.

During the day I feel like I am in a deep fog and cannot fully comprehend what I see and hear and I fall asleep if I stop moving. When the doctor did the narcolepsy study they said I have something like narcolespy but not really narcolepsy so they gave me a 10 day trial of provigil to see what would happen. For the first time that I can remember, my mind was clear & bright and could be "normal." (note: I never went back to get any further prescription as I do not think meds are appropriate. They only treat the symptoms and require continuous changes and stronger dosages. )
    I would like to find out what is the root cause and how can that be fixed?

Side note: I was diagnosed with ADD & Auditory processing disorder years ago. The Audiologists I work with said they believe I have a sleep deprivation problem that makes it look like I have ADD & APD. They feel pretty confident about this as they did an APD workup and noticed at work that I yawn constantly. That is what brings me to the root question of "What happens when a person goes from stage 1 right into REM & how is this treated?"

sleepy

Have tried just about every type of mask available but spend most of the night waking to fix it on my face.

Some of the things you describe still make me wonder about your CPAP being at the appropriate pressure to meet your needs. Having the right mask is critical and can be the hardest problem to resolve. If your pressure is not too high you might try some type of nasal pillows. The best mask I have ever seen or used overall is the ResMed Activa.

Causes of early onset REM can run the gamut from narcolepsy, depression and some medications can suppress or fragment REM.

Sorry I can’t be of more help…

rmnsone16

I am looking into poss. getting an up dated sleep study and will look into the mask you suggest.

Thanks 🙂

sleepy

http://www.resmed.com/en-us/products/ma … u=products

I think getting another test will be helpful in providing a baseline to work from…

One tip for the Activa – do not overtighten it!! Good luck 🙂

alieen

A repeat sleep study may be helpful in determining if your OSA is no longer mild – untreated sleep apnea could explain some of the symptoms you have.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.