Is this a sleep disorder?-gctid143

American Sleep Association Forums General Public Other Sleep Disorders Is this a sleep disorder?-gctid143

This topic contains 1 reply, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  zack 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

sjacobi

My husband makes these weird ‘grunting noises during sleep. They are not snores. He is obviously asleep.

What is this?

zack

Get him checked and find out 🙂
    could be a few things!

sleepy

Here are some common signs of OSA – just substitute grunting for snoring. Not everyone who has OSA snores. Other warning signs are fluctuating blood pressure and a thick neck. Not every one will have all all of these symptoms. If OSA seems probable – zack is right, get a sleep study done.

Warning signs and symptoms of sleep apnea are:
    Frequent cessation of breathing (apnea) during sleep. Your sleep partner may notice repeated silences from your side of the bed.
    Choking or gasping during sleep to get air into the lungs
    Loud snoring
    Sudden awakenings to restart breathing
    Waking up in a sweat during the night
    Feeling unrefreshed in the morning after a night’s sleep
    Headaches, sore throat, or dry mouth in the mornings after waking up
    Daytime sleepiness, including falling asleep at inappropriate times, such as during driving or at work

Vix

The only way to find out for sure is to have a sleep study performed. However, one possibility is catathrenia. http://www.sleepeducation.com/Disorder.aspx?id=40

rolland

I suffer from Catathrenia…

Take a deep breath in my sleep. Hold it… then slowly let it out with high pitched squeek/groaning. do it mostly after 4am. I’m 37, m, not overweight, been doing since at least 2001.

Have done sleep studies… not OSA.

Anyone else out there with this? Any treatments (besides telling spouse to wear earplugs or sleep in different room)?

here’s another link with over 50 other people who have same symptoms:

http://www.apneasupport.org/viewtopic.php?t=6293&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.