Congestion on cpap-gctid198

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Vix 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

nancyd

Do you keep using your cpap machine when you’re really congested? Is it possible to get super congested by setting your humidifier too high or too low? Can you get an allergic reaction to the forced air from your machine?

Vix

If you don’t use your CPAP machine, you will not receive any therapeutic benefit during the nights that you don’t use it. If you can’t breathe through your nose, try a full face mask, which will allow you to breathe through your mouth.

The humidifier settings can affect how you feel – often air that is too dry can be more irritating.

You can not get an allergic reaction to the air from the CPAP unless you are allergic to something in your bedroom – the CPAP machine is only giving you regular room air – the same air that you would be breathing without it. Is your air filter in your CPAP machine clean?

janschue

"nancyd" wrote: Do you keep using your cpap machine when you’re really congested? Is it possible to get super congested by setting your humidifier too high or too low? Can you get an allergic reaction to the forced air from your machine?

I have year round allergies and am always stuffed up. I avoided using humidifiers for years because I was used to high humidity making things worse.
    I finally broke down and used the humidifier when I had bronchitis after a cold. I found that my congestion was much, much better with the humidifier. I no longer use decongestants, though sometimes add a second antihistamine (using different classes of antihistamines).
    I have had no problem with mildew/ mold. I use the next to highest heat setting. Higher heat is actually better for congestion.
    As far as using the CPAP with congestion – YES, I always use it. The pressure actually opens up the airways after a couple minutes.
    Hope this helps!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.