1. About the Site
2. We Do Not Provide Medical Advice
The Information that you obtain from ASA, and its employees, contractors, partners, sponsors, advertisers or otherwise on the Site is for informational and contact purposes only.
THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE AND IN ANY OTHER COMMUNICATIONS FROM OR PROVIDED THROUGH ASA IS NOT INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR, NOR DOES IT REPLACE, PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS, OR TREATMENT. DO NOT DISREGARD, AVOID OR DELAY OBTAINING MEDICAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU MAY HAVE READ ON THE SITE. YOUR USE OF INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. NOTHING STATED OR POSTED ON THE SITE OR AVAILABLE THROUGH ANY SERVICES IS INTENDED TO BE, AND MUST NOT BE TAKEN TO BE, THE PRACTICE OF MEDICINE OR THE PROVISION OF MEDICAL CARE.
We do not recommend or endorse any specific tests, procedures, opinions, or other information that may appear on the Site. If you rely on any of the Information provided by the Site, you do so solely at your own risk.
3. No Doctor Patient Relationship
NO LICENSED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED BY USING INFORMATION PROVIDED BY OR THROUGH THE USE OF THE SITE OR THROUGH ANY OTHER COMMUNICATIONS FROM ASA INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE “REQUEST A CONSULTATION” or ‘Click to Verify’, or ‘Ask the Doctor’ FEATURES, LINKS TO OTHER SITES OR ANY ASSISTANCE WE MAY PROVIDE.
WE MAKE NO GUARANTEES, REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERTISE, QUALITY OF WORK OR OTHER INFORMATION HEREIN. IN NO EVENT SHALL WE BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY DECISION MADE OR ACTION TAKEN BY YOU IN RELIANCE ON SUCH INFORMATION.
You are strongly advised to perform your own investigation prior to selecting a health care professional by making confirming telephone calls to the appropriate licensing authorities to verify listed credentials and education, and to further verify information about a particular dentist or other health care provider (“Provider”) by confirming with the Provider’s office, your current Provider, the medical association relative to the Provider’s specialty and your state medical board.
4. Provider Listings
In connection with using the Site and the Services to locate medical professionals, you understand that:
- YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR CHOOSING YOUR OWN PROVIDER.
- ASA selects Providers to be listed on the Site pursuant to a contractual agreement with the Providers.
- In addition to signing a contract, Providers must follow a protocol and might pay a fee.
- ASA may provide you with profile previews of Providers who may be suitable to deliver the health care that you are seeking, but ASA does not make any representations or warranties with respect to these Providers or the quality of the healthcare services they may provide.
- ASA uses reasonable efforts to ensure that Providers only participate in the Services if they hold active medical licenses and all certifications necessary to practice any specialty of the services offered by them to patients. ASA may also exclude Providers who, in ASA’s discretion, have engaged in inappropriate or unprofessional conduct.
5. Editorial Control
We make the Site available as a service to consumers and Providers for the purposes of providing an informative and educational resource. The timeliness and accuracy of any or all of the Information is not guaranteed. You are encouraged to independently confirm the Information contained herein with other sources and to seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
PROVIDER INFORMATION: Provider and practice information found on the Site is intended for general reference purposes only. Provider information found on the Site is self-reported, by the Provider and/or office staff, and often changes frequently and may become out of date or inaccurate. ASA does not provide any advice or qualification certification about any particular Provider. Our relationship with Providers in a particular area is based on criteria we establish.
PROCEDURES/PRODUCTS/SERVICES: The procedures, products, services and devices discussed and/or advertised within the Site are not applicable to all individuals, patients or all clinical situations. We make no claims as to the effectiveness of any such procedures, products, services or devices. Any products and/or services represented on the Site by advertisers, sponsors, and other Site participants, either paid or unpaid, are presented for your awareness and do not necessarily imply appropriateness for any particular individual or prediction of effectiveness, outcome or success. ASA receives a commission from the sale of some products listed on the website. ASA also receives compensation from some companies for promotion purposes of some products. Endorsement of any products was reached after an evaluation process by ASA officials.
6. Your Responsibilities
Even though the Services are provided free of charge, the charges for any medical services rendered by collaborating Providers profiled on the Site will apply and will be entirely your responsibility.
You may use the Site and the Services for lawful, non-commercial purposes only. You may not use the Site in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair our servers or networks, or interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Site or the Services. You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any of the Services or computer systems or networks, through hacking or any other means. Without limiting any of the foregoing, you agree that you shall not (and you agree not to allow any third party to):
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other automated device, process or means to access, retrieve or index any portion of the Site and/or the Services;
- access, retrieve or index any portion of the Site and/or the Services for purposes of constructing or populating a searchable database of reviews related to the health care industry or Providers;
- use any means to conduct web scraping of any portion of the Site.
7. Your Use of Content
8. Disclaimer of Warranties
We have no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You release us from all liability for you having acquired or not acquired content through the Site and/or the Services. The Site and/or the Services may contain, or direct you to websites containing, information that some people may find offensive or inappropriate. We make no representations concerning any content contained in or accessed through the Site and/or the Services, and we will not be responsible or liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality or decency of material contained in or accessed through the Site and/or the Services. We make no representations or warranties regarding suggestions or recommendations of services or products offered or purchased through the Site and/or the Services.
9. Entire Agreement
10. Choice of Law and Dispute Resolution
We may assign this contract at any time to any parent, subsidiary, or any affiliated company, or as part of the sale to, merger with, or other transfer of our company to another entity.
2. Traffic Data
We automatically track and collect the following when you visit our Site: (1) IP addresses; (2) domain servers; (3) types of computers accessing the Site; (4) types of web browsers used to access the Site; (5) referring source which may have sent you to the Site; and (6) other information associated with the interaction of your browser and the Site (collectively “Traffic Data”).
3. Personal Information
You may voluntarily provide us with information that personally identifies you (“Personal Information”) when you choose to use some of the Services’ interactive tools and services (“Interactive Tools”), such as searching for Providers, searching for available appointments with Providers, responses to surveys, questionnaires and the like. Personal Information includes the following categories of information: (1) contact data (such as your e-mail address, phone number); (2) demographic data (such as your gender, your date of birth and your zip code); (3) insurance data (such as your insurance carrier and insurance plan); (4) health-related information.
Information Collection and Use
Personal Information We Collect
When you interact with us, we may ask you to supply us with Personal Information. For example, we may collect Personal Information when you:
- Use our Service, including our Website, or use/download any of our Apps;
- Request quotes, support, information, or access to our information products and services;
- Download Content, software or a software update;
- Subscribe to newsletters, promotional emails, alerts, updates or other materials; or
- Register for webinars or other content offers
- Contact us.
Our Use of Your Personal Information
We may use your Personal Information, either alone or in combination with other information, so that we can provide, enhance and personalize our Service and our marketing efforts.
The following are examples of a variety of ways that we may use your Personal Information. We may use your Personal Information:
- To provide you with the best user experience possible;
- To provide the products and services you purchase, respond to your questions, and carry out the transactions you have requested;
- To communicate with you regarding updates, offers, orders, and promotions;
- To help us develop, customize, deliver, support and improve our services, products, content, and advertising;
- To help authenticate any account you create with us;
- To administer promotions;
- To serve advertisements on our Website;
- To protect the rights or property of our users, and prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities;
- To protect the security of our products, services, and business;
- For our internal purposes (such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve our products, services, and communications); and
- Otherwise, as disclosed to you at the point of collection.
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive communications from us, please follow any unsubscribe instructions that may be provided in our communications to you, or update your user preferences via e-mail subscription management tools on our Website, or contact us on our contact page. Please note that we may use your Personal Information to contact you with important notifications, such as notices with respect to purchases, safety, or changes to our terms, conditions, and policies; you may not opt out of these notifications.
We may use small computer files that are transferred to your computer’s hard drive that contain information (“Cookies”) to help us improve our Site, by giving ASA information about our users’ demographics and internet behaviors. Cookies may collect non-personally identifying information, such as the computer’s IP address, type of operating system, type of internet browsing software, what web pages were viewed at what time, the geographic location of your internet service provider and demographic information, such as gender and age range. Cookies do not give us access to other information on your computer. At your option, expense and responsibility, you may block Cookies or delete Cookies from your hard drive. The information stored in these Cookies is not directly linked to any Personal Information you submit on the Site.
We store all Traffic Data, even after “deletion,” and may archive traffic data.
6. Information Provided on Behalf of Children
The Services are not directed at children under the age of 13. In accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), ASA does not knowingly collect any information from individuals under the age of 13.
7. Use of Your Information
We may use your Personal Information to recommend certain Providers. We may use your contact data to send you information about ASA or to contact you recommending Providers that could help you. Use of the Services may require ASA to use your Personal Information to allow your Providers to refer you to, and make appointments with, other Providers on your behalf. We may also use your anonymized Personal Information, in an anonymous manner, to run statistical research on health or medical trends.
8. Sharing of Information
- Personal Information with selected Providers by submitting forms on the Site.
- We may share your anonymized Personal Information with third parties for statistical research on individual or aggregate health or medical trends.
- We may share certain metrics including with Providers to help determine the effectiveness of certain advertising campaigns.
9. Confidentiality and Security
10. Communication with Providers
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. For example, when you enter sensitive information on our Site, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (“SSL”).
13. Links to Other Websites
ASA is a charitable for-profit LLC with a social objective to improve public health by increasing awareness about the importance of sleep and the dangers of sleep disorders. A secondary mission is to support other efforts and organizations that share our primary objective or help to improve public sleep health in other beneficial ways.
Revenue is generated from banner advertisements and corporate support. American Sleep Association, LLC does not accept donations from individuals, but can direct you to respected non-profit organizations that serve the community and align with ASA’s mission.
ASA has received funding from Carpenter Co, Apnea Sciences, and Philips Corporation.
Endorsement of any products is reached after an evaluation process by ASA members and/or volunteers. Any endorsement of a products is based on comfort and aesthetics of the product and not on efficacy. ASA endorsement does not imply efficacy.
Proceeds from revenue are used for producing educational activities and content, administrative costs, and supporting other charitable efforts and organizations that align with ASA’s mission.
Latest posts by Physician Reviewed M.D. (see all)
- Ask The Sleep Doctor:Depression and Sleep, Sleep Apps and Sleep Apnea and Car Accidents - February 12, 2019
- Ask The Sleep Doctor:Sleep Apnea in Child, Palpitations, Coffee and Sleep and more - January 18, 2019
- Ask The Sleep Doctor:Sleep Study for Sleep Apnea, Sleep and Parkinsons and Sleep and Heart Attacks - January 2, 2019